Recertification of an NNCC Credential
To maintain competence and prevent professional obsolescence, the Board of Commissioners requires that each NNCC certificant participate periodically in continuing education to refresh existing knowledge and skills, and to acquire knowledge and proficiency pertaining to new advances as well as state of the art information over the full spectrum of nephrology.
The 3-year time period established for recertification* is based on both the scope of issues that face nephrology professionals and the Board’s belief that new practices, research, and information are introduced in the field with enough frequency that professional development activities should be conducted routinely so that certificants remain current with best practices and emerging knowledge.
* 3-year period does not pertain to the CNN-NP for recertification.
The occurrence of any of the following actions will result in the denial, suspension, or revocation of the certification:
- Failure to meet all eligibility criteria for certification/recertification
- Falsification of the NNCC application
- Falsification of any materials or information requested by the NNCC
- Any restrictions such as revocation, suspension, probation, or other sanctions of professional RN license by a nursing authority
- Misrepresentation of certification status
- Cheating on the examination
- Applicable state and/or federal sanctions
- Failure to meet continuing education criteria
- Failure to meet work experience requirements
The NNCC reserves the right to investigate all suspected/reported violations and, if appropriate, notify the certificant's employer/State Board of Nursing.
The applicant/certificant will be notified in writing of NNCC's decision(s)/action(s).
An individual who has been denied certification, failed an examination, or had his/her certification revoked has the right of appeal. This appeal must be submitted in writing to the President of the NNCC within thirty (30) days of being notified. The appeal shall state specific reasons why the certificant feels entitled to certification.
At the individual’s request, the President shall appoint a committee of three NNCC members who will meet with the individual and make recommendations to the NNCC. The committee will meet in conjunction with a regularly scheduled NNCC meeting. The individual will be responsible for his/her own expenses.
The final decision of the NNCC will be communicated in writing to the individual within thirty (30) days of the NNCC meeting. Failure of the individual to request an appeal or appear before the committee shall constitute a waiver of the individual’s right of appeal.
We also share the information with other reputable organizations to help them contact NNCC applicants and certificants for marketing purposes.