- The applicant must hold a current, full and unrestricted license as a first-level general nurse in the country in which one's general nursing education was completed.
- The applicant must meet the eligibility criteria for licensure as a registered nurse (RN) in the United States in accordance with requirements of the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS).
- The applicant must have completed a minimum of 2000 hours experience as a licensed nurse in nephrology nursing nursing caring for patients who require or may require dialysis, or educating/supervising staff who care for patients who require or may require dialysis within the two (2) years prior to submitting this application.
- The applicant must have completed fifteen (15) contact hours* of continuing education credit in nephrology nursing within two (2) years prior to submitting the exam application.
Please be aware that although programs may meet requirements set forth by other state boards of nursing, they may not meet the Nephrology Nursing Certification Commission criteria.
* Effective July 1, 2015, the continuing education contact hour requirement will increase to twenty (20) hours.
The purpose of this test is to allow eligible candidates for the CDN examination to practice with a test similar in content and format developed using the same process as that used in the actual CDN test development. However, no questions on the CDN practice exam will be on the actual CDN exam.
The CDN practice exam contains 50 questions and has 90-minute time limit. The fee for the exam is $50. All questions should be answered; you will not be penalized for guessing. Once the CDN practice exam is completed, all questions and rationale for the correct response will be displayed for review. The actual CDN exam contains 200 questions and must be completed in four (4) hours (150 questions in three  hours for the CBT exam) and requires a correct response rate of between 70 and 75% to pass the exam, depending on the version of the test. Taking the CDN practice exam is not required and does not guarantee a similar result on the CDN exam.
Your credit card payment will be processed on-line and you will be granted immediate access to the CDN Practice Exam. When entering the CDN Practice Exam, the examinee will be presented with one question at a time with four responses to choose from. The examinee should select the single best response to that question and then select “NEXT” to save that answer and move to the next question, while still having the ability to come back to that question for further review.
When all questions are completed, the examinee should then choose to “END”. You will be presented with a “Test Summary” indicating which items have responses and which do not. When you are satisfied with your responses, select “Submit test”. A score will be given and each question with the selected response and rationale will be displayed. If you choose to take the exam at another time (for the same fee), the experience will vary but the questions will be the same.
To purchase the CDN Practice Exam, please read the Terms of Agreement and click the appropriate button below.